Thursday, March 3, 2011

Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa

This is just a delightful and fresh meal that, oddly enough, reminds me of Tucson, where I discovered that just about everything tastes better with lime. Gracias, Tucson! This was my first attempt at mango salsa and it turned out really well! It's so light and fresh and compliments the fish really well. Morgan couldn't get enough!


Mango Salsa
1 mango, cubed (about 1 1/2 cups or so)
1 tomato, cubed
1/4 c cilantro, chopped
1/4 c red onion, diced
1/4 c jarred jalapeno, minced (a fresh one of course would work too, I just like the jarred ones bc they're milder and always on-hand)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp lime juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
a pinch of sugar (or to taste)


Combine all ingredients together and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.


Tacos
Mahi mahi fillets (We have a big bag of frozen fillets from Costco that are really convenient)
1 Tbsp each of: cumin, garlic pdr, onion pdr, paprika, salt
1/4 Tbsp each of: cinnamon, red pepper flakes, black pepper
1/4 c soy sauce
Cooking spray
Corn tortillas
Mango salsa (see above)
Lettuce or cabbage, chopped (optional)
Avacado (optional)
Lime (NOT optional!!)

Place thawed fillets in a shallow dish or plastic bag. Pour soy sauce over fish and marinate in fridge for about an hour or so. Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients. (I combined them in a little zip lock baggy so that I can save what I don't use for later... I love my zip lock bags!!) Preheat oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with tin foil and spray with cooking spray. Place fillets (skin-side down, if there's skin on the fish) on baking sheet and sprinkle w/spices (I coated mine pretty generously and then lightly shook the loose stuff off over the sink.) Bake for 10-12 mins or until just opaque.  Flake the fish into the taco and top with mango salsa and whatever else suits your fancy. Yummy AND healthy!


No comments:

Post a Comment